27 April 2012

A silent hello and an American salute

There are culturally appropriate ways to greet people that differ from place to place. Here in Pohnpei, Micronesia, it is proper to say good day and to ask about the other person and their family's well-being.

When in passing, it is good to give a head bow. It is both a greeting and a sign of respect. The head bows from the neck at a 30 degree angle with a slight sideways turn and the other person will return the greting. It is quite an amazing unspoken form of communication as it is so efficient, both parties feel respected and it usually results in smiles. 

Whether I am a passenger in a car or walking on the road, I head bow to people we pass. It is a solid momentary connection made in a fleeting moment. 

The American Salute is a term a friend made up for when a person driving a Japanese car tries to engage the turn signal, but since it is on the opposite side of the steering wheel, they end up turning the windshield wipers on. I have, of course, done this myself numerous times, but in the spirit of commraderie, I enjoy seeing others do this as well.  

Experiences are a series of tiny happenings that taken out of context do not support the same conclusion as the whole. These small moments are my favorite part about traveling. A head bow here, an American salute there and my attitude about my day can change. What is the written equivalent of a head bow? 




Maybe the head bow means something like, "Go in peace and with my blessing for a fortunate life. That is at least what I intend and what I get out of it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete