11 September 2011

The Micronesian Weight Loss Plan

In the month and a half that we've been here, I think Jamie and have each lost about ten pounds. I say this despite the fact that we've never owned a scale, but I can tell you that I feel a hell of a lot skinnier - not in an unhealthy way, but rather, quite the opposite.

Consider that we eat fresh fish and rice just about every day, we consume very little processed foods and we tend to do a lot of walking. Most of what we need is within a manageable distance and walking just about anywhere is usually enough to break a healthy sweat.

The kids, on the other hand, are still growing at the same rate that they always have. We make sure that they get all of the nutrients that they need, and since Jamie's culinary skills are considerably more advanced than mine, she's done almost all of the cooking since we've been here, which I think has been to the advantage of all of our health.

I tend to cook like most guys, that is: based on what sounds good, letting the primary ingredients carry most of the flavor, whereas Jamie takes the nutritional value into far more consideration and creates combinations of raw ingredients that make for interesting and often unexpected flavors. Basically, she's a much better cook than me, so despite that I really do enjoy cooking, with Jamie's blessing, I defer this responsibility to her, at least for the time being. Frankly, I've come to the conclusion that my culinary repertoire is of little value here, considering that I tend to overcook fish and my rice is usually either swampy or burnt… or sometimes, oddly, both.

It's amazing what a healthy diet and even a little physical activity can do. Strangely, though, a lot of people here do tend to be what I would consider slightly overweight, but I suspect that has a lot to do with the prevalence of processed import foods that provide a break from the staple diet that has perhaps become a bit too routine over the past thousand or so years.

Spam is very popular in this part of the world, which I suspect is because for a lot of people in this region, their first exposure to western cuisine came to them through G.I. rations, which included things like canned meat. I can see how when the basic ingredients are as limited as they are here, something that breaks the monotony could seem like a real delicacy, even Spam*.

* which for those of you who don't know, stands for: Slime Passing As Meat

  

No comments:

Post a Comment